Viewing Topic : Discuss your RTS learning process here!
Posted: March 21st 2013 at 3:21pm

solidassassin89

Just curious to see how everyone does when first starting an RTS game. How do you manage to remember all the important information, how quick to do get accustomed to the maps, etc? Tech trees, builds, abilities...all the things that make RTS' complex and fun...how quick do you get them down? Most importantly, what do you do to get better?
Posted: April 04th 2013 at 3:34pm

BlueBomber88

I don't consider myself a pro RTS gamer but the best way I became good in Starcraft 2 was watching youtube videos. Playing against AI in campaign or whatever helps, but the best way to learn to play competitively is obviously to play against other players. Losing many times before you get the hang of things is a good learning process but is also why most are intimidated to play RTS games online.
Posted: April 12th 2013 at 7:17pm

convenantkiller

I usually play against the AI or play through the campaign in order to learn all the game mechanics, abilities, etc. After that I jump in to multiplayer. In fact, I do this with most games and rarely ever play online without beating the single player first : p
Posted: April 18th 2013 at 2:22pm

caramelmushroom

I'm the opposite: I always jump into the multiplayer right away and get torn up. Trial and error though. I just play a lot; it's really the only way to learn. I'm a quick learner, luckily.
Posted: April 24th 2013 at 2:41pm

uruborozzz

I stink at RTS so I avoid them lol. I'm just not good at managing a ton of things at once, which is what RTS is all about :p
Posted: April 26th 2013 at 4:18pm

xenosagagirl

Learning hotkeys/macros is always essential. If you can do something with one press of a key that takes another player two or three key presses, you've got a serious advantage.
Posted: April 26th 2013 at 11:51pm

ArcherMatt

For any type of strategy game these days you need to watch youtube videos. Watching how pros do it will help you alot, no matter what kind of game you play. I remember even watching videos for Supe Smash Brothers Melee and then tearing up my friends with new attack patterns and such. It will help alot, trust me!
Posted: May 01st 2013 at 3:22pm

RainbowCruise

Almost all RTS focus on one thing: resources. If you get the upper hand economically to the point where you can keep a steady barrage of enemies on your foe, you win. I always find a way to do this on any game I play, be it Age of Empires 3, Starcraft 2, etc.
>