Viewing Topic : What can we learn from games of the past?
Posted: May 06th 2013 at 4:23pm

TheCojiro

I've been gaming for a long time and it's easy to forget just how much games have changed, and I'm not just talking technically like graphics. For instance, games used to be much more challening back in the day, and the success of Dark Souls proves that gamers still want that kind of rewarding challenge.

What else can we learn from retro games that would make some games of today better?
Posted: May 09th 2013 at 7:01pm

RaiderOfTombs

DLC sucks. Ok, it doesn't always suck and sometimes it can be great. Borderlands and Arkham City had great DLC, and I can't wait for Bioshock Infinite's DLC.

However, I remember the days when you could buy a game and knew you were getting the whole package. Now you can expect developers to hold back maps, characters, etc so you buy them.
Posted: May 11th 2013 at 12:13am

IxAmxAlive

Players aren't stupid. I'm tired of hour-long tutorials that hold your hand and assume you've never played a game in your life.

Also, unless it's done right like Bioshock Infinite, something annoying that's similar is not letting your actually fight or play right away and instead has a ton of cutscenes or talking the very first part of the game. For instance, Twilight Princess was unbearable in how long it takes you to get into some action.
>